Due: Classroom Presentations on Thursday, December 18 at 2:00pm
All students must present their final project in class to receive their final project grade.
Pick one of the websites from the list below. Redesign this site for your final project but give it a new name – your final project will be inspired by this site but will not use the exact name from this site. (We want to avoid copyright issues surrounding the use of someone’s name, logo and content).
1. Lark Cake Shop
2. Bike Improve
3. The Way We Wore
4. California Heritage Museum
Write two or more paragraphs critiquing the effectiveness of the current site. Base your critique on the objectives from “The Basics of Web Design” reading and the critiques you did Week 03.
- The Grid
- Color Palette
- Design Principles
Describe what works and does not work with the design. Who is the target audience? Post this critique to your Tumblr blog.
Redesign 5 pages of the website you’ve selected to redesign. Create a site map for your project and save it as a PDF to your “source_files” folder. Create a design comp (for all 5 pages) in Photoshop paying close attention to the layout and the balance and composition of the page. Using image slicing (we’ll cover this in later in the course), create the assets and compress the file sizes effectively. Pay particular attention to the consistency of the navigation.. Using either a one-column or two-column layout, build the pages in HTML using one external CSS file.
Final Project Examples
(Please note, the final projects below are for different website redesigns than your assignment. For your final project, please redesign one of the four websites from the list above.)
Here are examples of GD 65 Final Projects from previous semesters:
- Optimize your design for a browser resolution size of 1024 x 768 (remember the dimension of your page should be 990 pixels wide and the height of the page will vary from page to page depending on the amount of content. Don’t make all your pages the same height!)
- Your Photoshop file must be RGB and 72 dpi.
- Set up your file structure correctly with a “lastname_firstname_final” folder containing 2 separate folders: “final_web” and “source_files.”
- Complete 5 HTML pages with ONE external CSS file
- Must use HTML text for the main content of your site, not images for your text.
- Please use images you have created, or free or royalty-free images on your site. (See possible sources below).
- Upload your final project to the class server via FTP.
Possible sources for images: